HaiNow Part II: Exchange Programme to Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Let’s continue our HaiNow Part II, beginning with…
Well… when I say “we”, phew… I wasn’t travelling solo anymore. Somewhere between the long 6-hour flight, China immigration and figuring out where I supposed to go next, I stumbled upon Rehasri, a fellow postgraduate student from INFORMM, USM.
Yes — a Malaysian whom I had actually met in the KLIA departure hall before heading to Pudong… but I didn’t even have the courage to say hello 😅
Looking back, it was comforting to find another Malaysian stranger in China. Both of us were trying to navigate an unfamiliar Shanghai Pudong International Airport while heavily relied on the WeChat group organised by our host institution for directions and updates.
Not long after, we were greeted by our PIC. I get to know Rehasri in the middle of our conversation while waiting for the arrival of other participants from the Philliphines.
Rehasri was a final-year PhD student already preparing for her upcoming viva voce, wth her research focusing on cervical cancer under the supervision of Assoc. Prof. Dr Venugopal Balakrishnan. What made this connection even more fascinating was our supervisors were both serving on the Malaysian biosafety committee.
What a small world… I guess.
After the Filipinos arrived, me and Rehasri were taken to our assigned room in the middle of Shanghai Jiao Tong city campus.
Oh… the breezy air as winter slowly transitioned to spring by the end of March. Shanghai was much colder than I had expected — the chilly weather instantly made me feel passive (sluggish)... As Malaysian I couldn't say more.
I RISE WITH THE SUN 🌞
I reached my phone, refreshing the weather updates. Oh, it was around 10°C. OK... I was ready with layer of jackets throughout my stay in Shanghai.
When I was about to check my Gmail, that was when it hit me...
My Gmail won't simply load.
Well... Welcome to China, where Google services won't work without VPN.
And guess what?
I didn't get a VPN before coming here... ugh.
Later, Rehasri asked if I wanted to go out and explored the Shanghai city with the Vietnamese and another Malaysian postgraduate from INFORMM, USM as well.
That was when I knew we actually had Hugo in our Malaysian group.
Amid jetlag, I politely declined the offer. Instead, I decided to take a nap and well-rested for the next day activities.
Oh, and at 12 am on 17 March 2026, I celebrated my birthday in Shanghai...
A simple birthday, but definitely the one I will remember.

.jpeg)

Post a Comment